Friday, April 20, 2012

birthing fears

As the time is coming closer I have to decide if I want to have a c-section or try a vaginal delivery again.  Doctors recommend a c-section but my primary OB is allowing me to make the final decision - as long as my Gestational Diabetes doesn't cause any other complications.  The reason for the c-section is because both of my previous births turned high risk when the doctor realized my pelvis was shaped wrong and my babies couldn't fit out easily.  Both boys suffered from shoulder dystocia.  Both needed help breathing.  Very scary births.  So you're probably wondering why I would want to do it again?  Well, I think it would be amazing to be the first person to hold my baby.  I have always imagined my baby coming out and being placed right on my chest.  Plus, I know this may sound crazy to some, but the entire labor process is such a huge bonding moment between spouses.  It's this almost magical time that we have with each other to embrace our love and feel the excitement building as we wait for the arrival of a miracle that we created! More than likely if I tried for a vaginal delivery, it would end in c-section.  So why not just opt for the c-section?  I really have no clue.  I don't want to deal with the recovery of a c-section, though to be honest I don't want to deal with the recovery of a vag delivery either! lol  I'm completely torn, and only have another week or two left to decide what route I want to go.    I know I'm missing a lot of other details in this post, like the size of my babies, my previous inductions etc..... but you guys get the idea, right?  I could use some serious support in the decision that I have to make!


Leslie G said...

I think the answer lies in the history of your previous labors. It's definitely a hard decision- but ultimately I'd trust your doctor. I was in a similar position with the impending arrival of Kylie. I had a c-section with Cam because my pelvis was small and I couldnt dilate, even after inducing medicine. Ultimately, I chose ton have a c/s again because I knew my body wasn't capable of passing a baby. I'm glad I did. And I'm pretty sure I was the first to hold both babies- I was holding them within about a minute of delivering! Good luck on the decision!

Liz said...

If you really think its going to end in a c-section then just go straight to it. For the c-section recovery, I've only done it once so I'm no expert but you have control over the outcome. I swear that by getting out of bed as soon as the clock said 12 hours, even though the nurses wanted me to go slower, that I recovered faster. I got up every few hours and pushed through the pain. It was not horrific in any way. And since you will be able to make it to full time you can still have baby stay right with you after birth. I've been pushing for a VBAC this time around so I totally get wanting to do it naturally vs. cesarian.

Shannon said...

Whatever you decide will be the right answer. Only you know! I wish you all the best and can't wait to see pics of your new bundle of joy!!

Kacie said...

I think if I truly thought it would hurt my babies in any way, I'd go for the c-section. I don't know much about shoulder dystocia, but it doesn't sound good!

That said, I do understand what you're saying. I totally get what you mean about it being a bonding experience. I remember it well with Caroline! Amelia's birth was so fast that I didn't really have time to think, but I totally get ya.

If you decide to go vaginally, will they induce you or let you go naturally? If they let you go naturally, you might could attempt the vaginal delivery with more success. Maybe if you could tell that baby was having a difficult time moving through your pelvis you could opt for the c-section after trying? Either way, the main thing is getting baby here safely while keeping Mom safe! If you accomplish that, you haven't failed!