Baked Macaroni and Cheese
2 slices bacon
8 oz penne pasta
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
3 c shredded cheddar cheese
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 c milk
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
3. In a large pot with boiling salted water cook pasta until al dente. Drain.
4. In a medium skillet saute the chopped onion, and minced garlic. Take off heat and add chopped cooked bacon and set aside.
5. To make the sauce, in a medium saucepan melt the butter or margarine over low heat. Once melted, add the flour and stir constantly for 2 minutes. Gradually add milk and continue stirring until thickened. Stir in 2 cups of the grated cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
6. Combine cooked pasta, sauteed vegetables and sauce. Pour into a 2 quart casserole dish. Add the last cup of grated cheddar cheese to top of mixture.
7. Bake uncovered in preheated oven until cheese on top is melted and brown, 15-20 minutes. Serve warm
Fan-freakin-TASTIC! We loved it. I took it to a bbq and it was the first time I'd made it, it was a hit! Plus we had plenty to bring home and eat for dinner the next night - score! So, the things I did differently.....
Used 16oz of pasta
4 slices of bacon
while making the sauce I used:
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
Oh, and with the veggies, I probably used 1/2 a small onion and 2 cloves of garlic. I went into this with intentions of doubling the recipe, but halfway through I forgot and only doubled some things instead of all things... lucky for me it still turned out wonderfully!!!!! This one is a must! Takes some time to get the sauce done but it's definitely worth the time!