Friday, June 15, 2012

our big reveal

Wednesday June 6th, 2012 I woke up around 8am, showered, straightened my hair (the beauty of a planned delivery is being able to look your best!), finished packing my bag for the hospital, did some dishes, played with my boys.  These were the last few hours living as a family of four.  Surgery was scheduled for 1pm so we had to be at the hospital at 11am.  My mom came and took the boys to go play at a museum while we all waited for 1pm.  I noticed that I was having some contractions, nothing worth timing, enough to be "amusing".  Hubs and I loaded up the car, hooked up the infant car seat (if you haven't figured it out we're real "last minute" people), and then got ready for our drive to the hospital!  Here's my last photo being pregnant......

We arrived at the hospital right on time, only to be greeted by a doctor in my OB's practice telling us that we'll be at least an hour delayed.  Lots of surgeries that day!  The nurses told us they had no room available for us so they took us to a tiny little triage room.  Tiny actually doesn't even describe it well, instead of a bed there was a stretcher, a tiny chair for my husband, and a little cabinet with monitors.  IV got started, kudos to the nurse who got that on the first try!  Labs were drawn, monitors were put on - nurse says "oh look at that you're having contractions!", and then the wait began.  My doctor came in to say hello, ensured us that he would get us in for surgery at 1pm no matter what, and off he went to get ready.  By noon we were moved into an actual labor and delivery room, a million admission questions were asked, I am still having contractions and lets just say they were not comfortable! 12:30 my mom, dad, our two sons, both of my sisters, and my bestie had arrived.  1pm my doctor came in to see how I was feeling.  Hmmm, I am absolutely ready to be done being pregnant!  He asked if I was having any pain, I said the contractions were starting to get intense.  He laughed a little and said he'd been watching me on the monitors and it looked like he had a patient in labor!  Contractions were every 2-3 minutes and getting stronger.  He went ahead and checked my cervix, '0' dilation, next thing I know I'm getting a shot to stop my labor.  Seriously, who goes in for their scheduled c-section and goes into labor while there? I still laugh about that.... you see, this is my 3rd baby and I've never gone into labor on my own, always had to be induced!  Here's our last photo as a family of four, I love it :)

Finally around 2:15 the action started to happen.  Thanks to emergency c-sections we got delayed, pretty sure I felt that my need to know if I was carrying  a boy or a girl was more of an emergency than these other women! (of course I'm just kidding!)  My hubs got handed a cute scrub outfit, and I got wheeled back to the OR.  As soon as we walked through those doors my anxiety reached it's max.  The anesthesiologist was wonderful and talked me through everything, his nurse anesthesist (sp?) was a fantastic support system for me through out the entire surgery.  My spinal block was given, can we say ouch!?  Actually just the injection of the lidocaine is what hurt, burned like heck!  The spinal took effect really quickly, catheter went in, curtain was hung, hubs was brought into the room.  My doctor and another doctor came in ready to start my surgery.  They both asked if I was I was sure that I wanted to have a tubal, um yes doctor, absolutely sure!  And then everything got started!  First cut, doctor tried to give me a play by play of the surgery, we politely requested that he not! Just tell us when you're ready to pull the baby out :)  Anesthesist kept asking me to try and relax, apparently my heart rate was above 150 for the entire surgery, sorry lady, I'm trying but knowing that my stomach is being cut apart right now is sorta freaking me out!  I'm sure I looked like I was having a seizure as my arms would not stop shaking!  My poor husband was pretty worried about me, bless his heart.  At 2:57pm we got the news we had been waiting for..... it's a ........ BOY!!!!!!!!!  

Hunter Jaxson, 8lbs 11oz, 20" long  


Baby Hunter only had his head out and he was already crying, he cried for a good 45 minutes!  Poor guy's blood sugar was low so they had to give him a bottle right away, little guy wouldn't drink it just kept crying and crying.  As the nurses were assessing him they saw he was having some difficulties breathing.  Hubs said they put a few suction tubes down his throat to suck the fluid out and then just let him keep crying so that he could work it out himself.  They were finally able to get him to eat a bottle, an hour later they rechecked his blood sugar and it had dropped even further.  Another bottle was fed, repeat sugar check, and luckily it  had risen.  

Family and friends piled into the room, everyone passed Hunter around and admired his handsomeness.... Logan and Riley were very excited to see the baby, of course Riley decided that he didn't like his brother, he wanted a sister.  (don't worry, a week later he loves his brother!)  

Riley, Logan, and Hunter

Proud papa and his boys.....


Recovery has been rough for me, guess I'm not as tough as everyone else cause I'm still having pains!  I am blessed and my husband was able to take off this entire week to help out with the kids and myself. I'm really going to miss him when he goes back to work, thinking about it brings tears to the surface.  

So there it is, my birth story.  Sorry it was long, maybe not very interesting, but it's all in writing now so at least I'll never forget it! :)  More pictures to come, updates on my thoughts on having another boy, news about Hunter's first doctor's appointment.... for now I'm just enjoying my time with my three sons......




6 comments:

Lucky in Love said...

Congrats friend! I have been wondering about you and your beautiful little baby! So glad everything went well!! XOXO

Leslie G said...

Congrats!!! So exciting. My 2nd c/s recovery was much worse than the first. Feel better and enjoy that little sweet bundle!

Mrs EyeCanSee said...

Congrats!! What a great birthday!! All the cool kids are born June 6th! ;)

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Holy Crap!!! Congratulations!!! Can't believe that it was already your due date. Time flies!!

Pink in a sea of blue said...

Congrats on son #3! You're pink in a sea of blue, too! Hope you're feeling better soon!

Shannon said...

Woo hoo!! Congrats Dilka family!! Your older boys are going to have so much fun with Baby Hunter! Oh, I'm so happy for you :o) xoxo