Saturday, May 2, 2009

the run for the roses

the run for the roses.... 

One of my favorite days of the year.  The beautiful horses, they are so elegant!  It's always fun to see the women and their hats and the jockeys with all their colors.   I can't imagine the excitement that is felt being there at Churchill Downs.  It's been interesting this year to see what changes to racing have been made after the death of Eight Belles.  Such a beautiful filly who ran herself to the ground and to her death.....





And then the beautiful Barbaro, what an amazing horse.  I thought for sure that he would win the Triple Crown.  What a sad day when he was finally put down.





None the less, I love horse racing.  Anything related to horses I am interested in.  We used to have a horse racing track nearby but that was closed down last fall.... what a shame!  When I was a child I had a few horses of my own.  The stables that I boarded at was pretty much my home.  Anyway, every winter we would get a group of race horses that came to spend the winter in our barn.  I was only 11 or 12 when this started happening and those horses just seemed so magnificent!  Some of my most favorite memories are when we would turn the horses out in the arena and they would just run and kick their feet up, you could see how much they loved to run!

I'm rooting for Chocolate Candy and Desert Party.... so I'll hold onto this post until after the race is finished....

So.... for the 2009 Kentucky Derby, congratulations to........   Mine that Bird!!!!  What an unbelievable race!  If you didn't watch it you should definitely find the video online and check it out, it's amazing!!!!!

No comments: